6 Ways to Brighten Your Morning
We’ve all had those mornings when the last thing you want to do is crawl out of your warm pile of blankets and face the world. The morning is probably no one’s favorite part of the day (especially if you stayed up the night before to watch The Vampire Diaries or Dance Moms). But this article will give you a few tips and tricks to help you enter your day happy and relaxed!
1. Go to sleep with your blinds or curtains halfway open. That way, the natural light of the rising sun will send a signal to your brain to slow its production of melatonin and bump up its production of adrenaline, a signal that it’s time to wake up. So by the time that pesky alarm goes off, you’ll already be half awake.
2. Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier. This way, you don’t have to jump out of bed and rush through your morning. You can begin your morning by lying in bed, slowly waking up. Stretching. Mentally choosing your outfit for the day. Decide what you are going to have for breakfast. Etc.It’s just as important to prepare yourself mentally as physically for your day.
3. Stretch every extremity for 15 seconds. Try this even before you open your eyes. Lift your arm and begin by stretching each finger, then your hand, then your wrist, then your arm. Then move on to the other arm. Then your toes, feet, ankles, and legs. Finally, end with a neck and back stretch that propels you out of the bed.
4. Read a motivational quote every morning. This can provide a frame for the day, a sort of self-talk that keeps you motivated in the right direction as opposed to the negative thinking of the morning news. This is where your iPhone comes in handy: Inspirational Quotes | APP
5. Take a vitamin. Keep a multivitamin out on the kitchen counter right by the coffeepot so you remember to take one every morning.
6. Spend 5 to 10 minutes each morning listening to music or sitting on the deck or porch just thinking. This allows the creative thinking that takes place during the night to gel and form into a plan of action, grounding you for the day.